Nomination & Selection Procedures
The foundation of the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame is built upon the recognition of the competitors and contributors to the sport of cycling. Since 1987, there has been an annual induction of Americans* who have achieved tremendous success in racing or who have enhanced the sport of cycling through their lifelong efforts.
* Any achievements and contributions prior to becoming as US citizen are not considered as a part of this process.
- Inductees are selected from one of two basic categories:
- Competitors: Success at the national & international levels are usually required to achieve selection.
- Contributors: Advanced the competitive sport at the national or international levels of cycling through contributions in the areas of equipment, coaching, administration, or promotion of the sport.
- Currently, the four Official Induction Categories are:
- Modern Road & Track Competitor (1971 to 2008*)
- Veteran Road & Track competitor (1970 and prior)
- Off-Road Competitor (Mountain Bike, BMX, Cyclocross)
- Contributor to the Sport of Cycling
* Competitor nominees must be retired from elite/open competition for 5 years prior to the date of the Induction Ceremony to be eligible for induction.
Submitting a Nomination
Nominations may be submitted at any time for consideration in the forthcoming year. Nominations for the upcoming "Class" of inductees takes place during the first part of the calendar year. Nominations not received in time for the selection process in any given year will be considered for the following year. Nomination forms can be downloaded in MS Word format.
A few tips for nominations: Be complete but we don’t need to know about every placing in every local races. Provide links to supporting information if it is on the web. Provide contact information for the nominee (or family if deceased).
Click on the link to download the nomination form in your preferred format. Partial or incomplete submissions will not be considered by the Committee.
Mail completed nomination forms to:
U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame
Attn: Nomination & Selection Committee
303 3rd St
Davis, CA 95616
Voting & Selection
The USBHOF Nomination & Selection Committee assembles the ballot from the qualified applications submitted. No more than 10 nominees may appear on a ballot in any category in a given year. Ballots are distributed to a group of pre-qualified voters including past inductees, leaders in the cycling industry, media representatives and key players from the sport’s governing bodies across all disciplines of the sport. The votes are tallied and the new class of inductees are notified and invited to the annual Induction held every fall.
Annual Induction Ceremony
The class of 2013 Induction Ceremony and Dinner will be held on November 2nd, 2013 in Davis, CA, home of the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame.
Individual tickets can be purchased in advance at the USBHOF online store. Early-bird ticket sales will be available beginning in May and advance purchase is recommended as event seating is anticipated to sell-out.
Sponsorships and corporate table purchases will also be available for the 2013 event.
For more information, contact:
Executive Director - U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame