For over 60 years Joe Saling has been involved in every level of the sport. Joe raced in his hometown Tour of Somerville and he went on to win 21 National championships from 1973 to 2017 in Elite Team Pursuit, Masters Road racing, Time trials, Tandem Time Trial (with wife Dottie), Criterium, CycloCross, Points Race and Individual Pursuit. He became an 8 time Masters World Cup Champion, and a 6 time Masters Pan American Champion. He has won silver medals in Masters World Track Championships and a Bronze in Masters World CycloCross Championships. He also won over 50 New Jersey State Racing Championships.
Joe ran Saling’s Schwinn Cyclery in Somerville from 1967 until 1981. In 1984 he became an event coordinator for Gant Challenge, the first nationwide mountain bike series. He was an event coordinator and announcer for the 7-Eleven Bicycling Magazine Grand Prix and the FUJI Sundance Track Cycling Series.
Saling was the Tour of Somerville announcer for over 35 years. Joe has also been the announcer for world and national cycling championships, in addition to the Pan American Games, Olympic Trials and races all over the east coast. Joe organized the first 4-H cycling club in the U.S. in the early 1970’s and has run bicycle safety programs and rodeos. Joe has coached at Walden School of Cycling in Florida, international events and for U.S. national teams. He is a long-time member of the Somerset Wheelmen and has coached their Junior Development Program.
• 21 National Championships from 1973 to 2017: Elite Team Pursuit, Masters Road, TT, tandem TT (with Dottie Saling), Criterium (6X), CycloCross , points race, individual pursuit
• 8 time Masters World Cup Champion, 6 time Masters Pan American Champion
• 40+ National Championship podiums
• Two time Silver Medalist in Masters World Track Championships. points race and individual pursuit
• Bronze Medalist in Masters World CycloCross Championships
• Raced internationally in Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, Great Britain, Guyana, Cuba
• Over 50 New Jersey State Championships
• Organized the first 4-H cycling club in US in the early 1970's and many cycling skills and safety clinics in U.S.
• Event Coordinator for Gant Challenge, 1984, first nation-wide mountain bike series, organized by Bicycling Magazine
• Event Coordinator and announcer for 1982-86 7-Eleven Bicycling Magazine Grand Prix, track series which culminated in the 1984 Olympic Trials
• Event Coordinator and announcer for Fuji Sundance Track Cycling Series
• Event Coordination: 1983 Pre-Olympic LA International Track meet, 1987-88 Fuji Sundance National Track Series, 1988 Olympic festivals, 1988 Grape Nuts Family Fun Rides
• Tour of Somerville, New Jersey announcer for over 35 years
• Announcer for: 1986 World Cycling Championships, 1987 Pan American Games Cycling events, numerous National Championships, Pan American and the Olympic Trials
• Senior Coach for 15 years at Walden School of Cycling, Florida
• U.S. Cycling Team Coach/ Manager for 1981 New Zealand Summer Games & 1981 International Sprint Tournament in Trinidad
• Coach for Somerset Wheelmen Junior Development Program
• Hall of Fame member: Somerville, NJ High School and Valley Preferred Cycling Center (Trexlertown, PA)
• Former Board of Directors member: US Bicycling Hall of Fame in Somerville, NJ and the ABL of A (now USAC)
• Former New Jersey State Rep for US Cycling Federation